A Cat in Toronto

Monday, July 24, 2006

yay, it's working!

Hi all,

Tried to post a message a little earlier but it wasn't working. Obviously the problem seems to have resolved itself.

So I'm back from Paris. I had a great time. My homestay family's niece is super cute. I didn't have too many problems communicating with her and she was pretty easy to deal with. We played cards on the train ride in. Kind of made me miss my daycare kids . . . kind of. ;)

So first I went to Sacre Coeur. I was possibly going to meet up with some friends there but it's a really big place so we didn't find each other. That was okay. The alternate plan if we didn't meet up was just to go around separately. I actually had a really good time wandering around Paris on my own.

After going to Sacre Coeur I walked through the Montemarte area and took a picture of the Moulin Rouge. Now I feel like watching the movie when I get back. After that I went to the musee d'orsay. It was really nice in there. Again, I took tons of photos. I like impressionism and most of the 5th floor is impressionist paintings so I had a great time there. The first and second floor were mostly sculptures and that was really cool too. Oh, they also have an area dedicated to art nouvea so I took some photos there for Leah. Those suites were really impressive. If you're not familiar with the period think of Rivendell from the Lord of the Rings.

That was pretty much what I'd wanted to accomplish for Saturday and I'd finished that around 3 pm. My train didn't leave until 7:30 pm so I pretty much spent the next few hours just wandering around. I did a bit of window shopping. Leah had asked for a very specific cognac called Courvoisier. Said it's supposed to be super good so I've been keeping my eye out for it. I finally found it in Paris for the low low price of 518.33 euros. Strangely enough I didn't get it for her. I took a picture of it though. The bottle is really pretty. For over 500 euros it should be. ;)

After I got back from Paris I went back to my homestay and did a little cleaning and reading. Around midnight my housemates came home and we hung out in my room and chatted for about 2 hours. That was really cool. We recounted stories of our time here and there was much merriment.

Sunday I hung out with my housemate for a few hours. We went out for lunch, checked out the local antique market, and sat by the Loire River for a while. The weather was perfect. Blue skies with puffy white clouds, not too hot, no smog. A friend from U of T who lives in residence invited me over for dinner so I had dinner there with a few of the girls from her floor. That was a lot of fun too.

All in all I'd say my last full weekend here went very well. Got to do some things I'd wanted to do before I left like go to Paris again, spend some time with my housemates, and have dinner with the girls in residence. I'm going to miss my housemates because they both live in the States. I don't feel that way about the people from U of T because they live in Toronto so if we want to see each other than it's not that hard to get together. A few of us have already said that we'd like have our own reunion dinner back in Toronto.

Okay, I'm cutting this off here or I'll ramble on forever. Take care and I'll be home soon. ;)

6 Comments:

  • So you're back , thank you for letting us know, ANAK. Leah always make it a point to inform us if there is a message for us from you. I'm really pleased with the way you and your sister are communicating.
    We are so glad you had a good time while you're there. Would you believe that in a week's time you'll be here. I am so excited!
    So long for now and talk to you again. TAKE CARE...
    LOVE, MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/24/2006 12:51 PM  

  • For 518.33 euros, that cognac better make you dinner, too!

    I'm glad the weather over there was beautiful. For our part, it was raining sideways yesterday in Toronto. Matt and I decided to forego bringing our swimsuits to Orillia, only to discover they were getting beautiful, hot weather and it was near unbearable to not be swimming. Urg. :(

    Did you teach the little girl Pekwa (sp)?

    By Blogger ghanima, at 7/24/2006 3:53 PM  

  • It almost sounds like you're missing France already. *hugs*

    By Blogger Michelle Hopp, at 7/24/2006 4:43 PM  

  • I'm really looking forward to seeing these pictures. Scared Heart, Moulin Rouge, and a €500+ bottle of Cognac. :)

    It sounds like you made the best of your last full weekend in France. It's hard to believe that you'll be back in Toronto in less than a week, it seems like you've been gone for so long that I've gotten used to checking your blog everyday.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/24/2006 7:56 PM  

  • Imagine that....only a few more days and you are back in Toronto.

    Why do I sense that you are already starting to miss France and all your escapades there? Can't blame you really because it's an experience that is now forever embedded in your memory bank. You will talk about it for many, many years to come.

    518.33 Euros for a bottle of courvoisier? Yikes!!!that hurts because 1 Euro = 1.443 CAD..You guys can do the math because I'm already getting a headache. However, that is THE cognac for those with discriminating taste.

    Well, until we see you then and of course, your truckload of photos.

    Aren't you glad that digital cameras were nvented?...otherwise, it'll cost you the equivalent of 2 bottles of courvoisier if you had them developed and printed just like in the old days...

    Ciao, Caty and do enjoy the rest of your stay there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/24/2006 9:42 PM  

  • Hmph! Paris sounds way more fun than work!! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2006 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home