A Cat in Toronto

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I'm here!

Hi everyone!

I miss you! I'm doing well though. Thank god I can touch type. The keyboards here aren't set up the same way as the ones in North America. As long as I don't look at the keyboard I'm fine.

So much to tell but where to start? Well, the plane ride was a plane ride. If you've been on one you know that other than take off, there isn't too much exciting about it. I imagine it's much better that way though. ;)

I've already had two days of school. If I'd spent the same amount of time at this institute as I've spent at U of T I'm sure I'd be completely fluent by now. The teachers are really nice and they can teach too. What a concept, eh?

It's been ridiculously hot over here. I miss having a pool a five minute walk away. And oh how I miss air conditioning. No one here has it. Only the grocery stores and some of the bigger stores have it. I was joking with people that we should spend our afternoons in the grocery store. It's not really socially acceptable to wear shorter shorts here (nothing above the knee) so we've all been pretty toasty.

Aside from the heat it's been a lot of fun. I've met a lot of really nice people. This weekend I'm going with a few of the girls to Paris. I've already booked my train ticket and everything. The following weekend I'll be going with the same girls plus a few more to La Rochelle. We'll be spending the long weekend there (Bastille day).

So far we've been on a tour of Tours on Saturday and on Monday we went to 2 chateaux. We had a free day on Sunday which I spent roaming around with a few others and taking pictures. I think I've already taken over 200. Haven't deleted any of the crappy ones yet so there probably aren't as many as it seems.

It's crazy here during soccer matches or 'le football' as they call it. After the France - Brazil game there were people honking there horns , shouting and partying well into the night. I'll probably hang out with people tonight during the France - Portugal game. I don't really care about soccer (shhh, don't tell the people here) but they make for a good party.

I'm looking forward to when I can see you all again (and sleep in my own bed, have air conditioning, take long showers, stand up in my bedroom - I'm in an attic bedroom) but I'm having a great time.

I'll update as soon as I can or have something new to say.

Take care.

6 Comments:

  • While I'm sure you think you have nothing new to say, THE REST OF US ARE NOT IN FRANCE. That said, living and breathing over there is probably quite different than it is over here, and I'm sure we'd love to hear whatever quirky observations you have to share about it. Stoopidkitty. :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 2:40 PM  

  • Really good to know that, by all indications, you are having a whale of a time there. I won't be surprised if pretty soon, you are going to be so "French" in everything you do and say. So, it is true that air conditioners are not commonplace there. How intriguing! Must be very tough during the night for sleeping. No wonder, France is the bastion of the perfume industry...Good going, Caty and can't wait to see some of those photos. If you must know, big sis is missing you a great deal, ditto with your mom and dad.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 2:52 PM  

  • Damn! You're in the attic of a non-air-conditioned abode? I'm starting to envy you less... :)

    And no shorts?? I thought everyone in Europe was damn near naked when it got hot. Aren't WE the prudes of the modern world?

    Hope all is well!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 4:25 PM  

  • Yay! You miss us. :)

    The lack of air conditioning doesn't really surprise me much I've always gotten the impression that the european lifestyle is a simpler one, but the short shorts thing is a bit of a surprise.

    Glad to hear that you're managing to get around and see everything. Are you going to be able to upload any of your pictures? you could probably set up a flickr account or something.

    With France in the finals of the world cup I imagine the entire country is pretty futeball crazy right now... any reason to have a party is a good one. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 6:00 PM  

  • Yeah, the keyboard thing got me too. I don't even think I tried to send a message while I was in Greece. :D

    By Blogger Emma, at 7/05/2006 7:16 PM  

  • It'S so nice to hear from you, ANAK.Truly, it's been a week now,and surely,we rally miss you.But to know you're there accomplishing what you need is worth it.
    Take good care of yourself,eat well and please try to call collect at home if there is anything that you may need.
    GOD BLESS YOU , ANAK KO....
    LOVE, MOM AND DAD

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home