A Cat in Toronto

Monday, July 10, 2006

Paris was awesome!!!

Hi all!

OMG! I had a great time in Paris! The first day there (Friday night) we went to Champs D'Ellysé, l'arc de triomphe and the Eiffel Tower. Sending out a thanks to Dad for telling me to bring an extra memory card for my camera. While we were at l'arc de Triomphe my camera died on me. I had no idea what was wrong with it. I switched the batteries and it still wouldn't work. The next day I tried to turn it on again and it said that there was a memory card error. Once I switched memory cards it worked fine. I might have lost some pictures but at least I was able to take new ones for the rest of the weekend.

On Saturday we saw Notre Dame, Palais Royale and the Opera house. Notre Dame was the highlight of my Paris trip. It was exquisite. And I don't often use words like 'exquisite' if I'm not writing a paper. ;) The sculptures, the stained glass, everything was beautiful. Of course I took tons of pictures and I was super happy to be able to use my camera.

Sunday we went to the Louvre. It was cool to be able to see artwork that I'd learned about in person. They're a lot bigger and more impressive when you see them in person. My profs had said that we have to see these things in person because it just isn't the same looking at a photo. I didn't realize how true that was until I actually experienced it for myself. That was especially true for Notre Dame since once you actually enter the cathedral you're surrounded by the architecture and sculptures lit by stained glass and candles.

Oh, and the food in Paris. Oh, the food. Mmmmm. ;) We went to an Italian restaurant, a creperie, and a Greek restaurant. For the food lovers reading this, I got a pasta dish with salmon and ravioli, shared a salad and crepes and then shared a salad with chicken and a plate of various grilled meats in that order. Everything was soooo good. I'm thinking about going back to Paris the weekend before I leave for a day trip. If I do, I'll probably go back to the creperie and the Greek place.

I feel like I'm leaving out a lot about Paris, but if I wrote about everything that happened this would probably be 5 times longer. Maybe I'll write more about it in future posts.

So now I'm back in Tours, safe and sound. Oh ya, for Kev, now the weather is awesome here. Aside from the occasional shower it's perfect weather.

Hope you're all well and enjoying your summer.

8 Comments:

  • Sounds like you're having a totally wicked time, can't wait to see all the pics you took of Notre Dame.

    So how did the french take losing the finals in the soccer match? I'll bet they had a street party anyway. *LOL*

    Good hearing from you, Caty.

    -Michelle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 1:45 PM  

  • Yay! Another update!

    Glad you hear you had an awesome time in Paris.

    I've had a memory card die on me before.. not cool. Props to your dad for having the foresight to recommend you bring a spare.

    Paris sounds amazing. How're you getting along with your french? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 3:32 PM  

  • Oh, hearing you describe it all makes me remember how much fun I had. I agree, Notre Dame was impressive, awsome infact.

    I'm glad you're having a blast. Eat up my dear!

    By Blogger Emma, at 7/10/2006 3:33 PM  

  • yeah, but have you had any French food?
    And, a la Vanessa, what DO they call French toast?
    And Evette and Chris had a baby girl this morning.
    Love,
    Dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 4:21 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger ghanima, at 7/10/2006 10:49 PM  

  • Oh, so now you've seen the actual Mona Lisa, you think you're hot stuff? Whatever. I'm so sure seeing the actual 30"x48" painting brings out more detail than seeing a photocopy of a bookplate of a print...su-ure.

    BTW, stoopid typos suck.

    By Blogger ghanima, at 7/10/2006 10:50 PM  

  • Wow, Caty, that's really fantastic.
    Paris is really THE PLACE to be then, huh? Not a bad idea to go spend more time there before you head back home to Toronto - I think you should go for it if only for the delicious food. Oh yes, I've heard of these famous places there but you'll have to teach me how to pronounce them properly so I can at least pretend I know how to speak French. Well, continue this great adventure of yours and can't wait to see those photos you've taken. Good thing that your Dad had second-guessed about an extra memory card for your camera. Dads do think of everything, don't they?...But, hey kiddo..how about bringing me back a real, honest to goodness croissant loaded with almonds, butter and what have you?
    Bon jour....muy bien, Caty...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 11:05 PM  

  • Hi guys!

    In response to Michelle's question, I was at home when France lost. My homestay is about a 20 minute walk from where people gathered to watch the match and I could still hear the sounds of despair. After the end of the match, it was surprisingly quiet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home