A Cat in Toronto

Monday, July 17, 2006

Back from La Rochelle

Hi all,

I had an awesome time in La Rochelle. It was super hot there too. And it's super hot here right now. Yay for the Institute. I'm one of the lucky few who's in an air conditioned room.

Anyway, back to my stories from La Rochelle. It was awesome. I stayed in a room with two other girls from U of T. We didn't know if we'd have a shower or not because it was a 2 star hotel so we were playing the odds for the quality of our room. Turns out that when we got there we'd rented a studio appartment for the weekend. We had a bathroom (with a shower) a bedroom, a dining area and a small kitchen. So naturally we rushed out to the nearest supermarket and bought tonnes of food for breakfast. We bought our lunches and dinners as we went along.

Speaking of food, I splurged and tried some very French things for my last dinner there. I ordered foie gras, grilled seabass, (mom would be proud, they gave it to me in whole fish form and I ate it anyway) and creme brulee. I liked everything but I didn't think it was really worth the money I'd payed. If it was cheaper I'd probably get all of the above again. It was funny, one of the girls I had dinner with didn't like her dessert. She'd ordered creme caramel which was surprisingly similar to lecheflan. (A Philippeno custard dessert for you noobies out there.) I actually liked hers better so we traded after we'd eaten half of our own desserts. She liked the creme brulee better and I liked the creme caramel better so everyone was happy.

Overall the weekend was really fun. I went with 6 other girls from the U of T program. We did lots of fun stuff. We swam in the ocean, watched the fireworks, went shopping, visited the medieval towers, and I went to the aquarium with 2 others. That is quite obviously the abridged version but if I elaborated I'd be at the internet cafe all night and this would be way too long.

That's my update for now. I hope you're all enjoying the lovely lovely air conditioning in Canada.

Bye for now.

7 Comments:

  • Another update! :D

    The weather isn't much better here, I think today it's a high of 35... I'm not looking forward to travelling home today on our non-airconditioned TTC bus. :(

    Glad to hear you're trying different french dishes, my mom makes a version of creme caramel too that she calls "Baked Custard" - I remember having creme caramel at the Zazou restaurant downtown and thinking it was a lot like my mom's custard.

    So you did some shopping, eh? I'm curious, what are the prices like for clothing in France? I imagine expensive, especially in Paris... but are there deals to be had?

    By Blogger Michelle Hopp, at 7/17/2006 1:53 PM  

  • Speaking of air conditioning, your mother has been overusing ours and I've decided to have it removed.
    Pray for snow.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the long weekend.
    For the geographically illiterate (me)
    which ocean is La Rochelle on?
    Hope your getting to speak some French.
    Continue to enjoy your stay.
    Love,
    Dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/17/2006 1:54 PM  

  • Oh! French food! Maybe I should just have you post to my blog about it. ;)

    How was the foie gras? Is it liver-spread enough that I'd hate it, or was it something entirely different?

    By Blogger ghanima, at 7/17/2006 2:07 PM  

  • Wow.. sounds pretty nice for a 2 star.. I wonder if their standards are higher in France.. Glad to hear you weren't sleeping on the beach. ;)

    With humidex temps up in the 40's it's been crazy hot here and I've been very grateful for how common air conditioning is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/17/2006 4:16 PM  

  • IT'S SO WONDERFUL TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE YOU SOON.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/17/2006 6:18 PM  

  • THIS IS A POSTSCRIPT;
    I JUST DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO SAY MOM LOVES YOU.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/17/2006 6:23 PM  

  • Way you go, Caty. Another great adventure I take it, at La Rochelle, huh? And how expensive is shopping there really? How much does a pair of pantyhose cost?

    And is there a restaurant there that serves Cherries Jubilee? Wow, all this talk about great food is making me hungty.

    Weather here had been like inside an oven. It got so unbearable that it's a good thing, a kind soul took pity on me and installed my a/c unit in the bedroom. Now it's like heaven for sleeping.

    So, are you going to spend more time in Paris before you head home to Toronto? If you can do it again, I think you should not even think twice about it ...you should go again!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/18/2006 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home