A Cat in Toronto

Thursday, July 20, 2006

How time flies . . .

Except it hasnt' really flown that fast. I've gotten used to it here and it feels like I've been here for a long time even though it hasn't been that long. Maybe that's because I'm always doing something. My time has been spent soaking in the culture. (And food - I don't bother eating anymore, I just sit in vats of food and let it absorb into my skin.)

Strangely enough the week that was cool and beautiful seemed to go by the fastest. The weekends go by really fast too. Weekdays I'm in school so that's not super fast but for school it's not too bad. After school I usually find something interesting to do so bed time does seem to sneak up on me rather quickly. Also, we must be at a different latitude than Toronto because it seems like its never dark here. Especially when we first got here. It didn't get dark until around 11 pm. Now it gets dark closer to 10:30pm. So I'll go out with my housemate and we'll head back to the homestay after dark. I only realize after we get back that it's almost midnight. Then I have to go to bed because we have school in the morning.

A little more info on daily life here. Some of the things I do after school are window shopping, homework, hanging out with friends. At 7 pm I have to go back to homestay for dinner. After dinner I usually head out with my housemate and we'll walk around and take pictures of stuff. It's really pretty here. The other night we sat by the Loire for a while. One of the bridges was lit up really nicely and it was reflecting off the river - so pretty. I think what I'll miss the most when I leave is the simple things. Being surrounded by the architecture and sculptures, walking through the tree lined boulevards, sitting by the fountains or the river, going out for a gelato. And it was awesome being able to roam around various areas of France on weekends.

I think I'm reflecting back on my time here because people keep telling me that they can't believe how fast the time has gone and how they don't want to go back home. I don't really share that sentiment. I feel like I've enjoyed my time here but when it's time to go home that's fine because I get to go back to the things and people that I miss in Canada.

I think that's it for now. Glad to hear your comments as always. Oh ya, one last thing. I got my tickets to Paris so I'm there for Saturday. I leave in the morning and come back in the evening. Don't worry mom, I'll be fine. Until next time.

7 Comments:

  • "(And food - I don't bother eating anymore, I just sit in vats of food and let it absorb into my skin.)"

    Sadly, this is probably the best laugh I'm going to have all day. Ah well, it's one, at least.

    I was wondering about when it gets dark over there. It's almost imperceptible, but I've been noticing it getting dark a little earlier. So sad!

    So you found Furuba en Francais. Have you finished reading it already (probably a very silly question)? Is Tohru (the heroine, for the newbies) up to anything interesting?

    A very descriptive entry, I can't wait to see the pics!

    By Blogger ghanima, at 7/20/2006 9:09 AM  

  • What makes you think mom might be worried?
    The poets seemed to have had very similar impressions of France (except possibly for the vats of food.)
    I was on the hill beside Rosetta this morning and ran into Ms Mac from Birchmount Park who was also hill climbing with her dog. She was pleased to hear about you and asked me to say hi.
    So, hi.
    Also looking forward to your pictures. Don't forget to change memory discs before the flight back.
    Love,
    Dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 12:43 PM  

  • Hi Katy. Ron and Spruce from Sudbury visiting Rita and reading your blog. Sounds like a fabulous experience. Enjoy. Hi to other readers also! Ron M.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 1:07 PM  

  • My DEAREST CATY,
    Just finished having dinner so that now , Mom went down right away to read your message. I am very happy to hear from you all the time. Every day I look forward to know how you are doing, what you are up to,etc.,etc. I am so relieved whenever I hear from you ,ANAK. Thank you for all your efforts.
    GOD BLESS YOU ,ANAK KO....

    LOVE, MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 7:23 PM  

  • My DEAREST CATY,
    Just finished having dinner so that now , Mom went down right away to read your message. I am very happy to hear from you all the time. Every day I look forward to know how you are doing, what you are up to,etc.,etc. I am so relieved whenever I hear from you ,ANAK. Thank you for all your efforts.
    GOD BLESS YOU ,ANAK KO....

    LOVE, MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 7:23 PM  

  • Hey Girl! We miss you at the Day Care! It sounds like you're having way more fun this summer than we are... Sigh... To be honest, it's hot as hell and the kids are driving me nuts. Tough to stay patient when one is dealing with 20 kids in 40 degree humid weather and no air conditioning... Oh well, I’m living vicariously through you! I hope you’ve had a few glasses of wine for me by now! I must say that I've also had a few for myself, but it's not the same as having them in Paris... Sigh...

    Looking forward to your return! We’ll need you when we take a trip to visit the firefighters… I mean fire station!

    EA :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 10:09 PM  

  • Hello dear Caty,
    I'm still giggling here in my corner because of what you wrote...
    "sit in vats of food and let it absorb my skin..." I've never heard anyone speak about food in terms of 'in vats'...You do have a way with words. Best laugh of the day for me, too.

    Glad to know that you still look forward to coming home. But of course, your mom is truly delighted to hear that. The nice thing about being away, whether it is for a vacation or in your case, a combination of school and vacation, is that one appreciates more, about family, friends, things and places which equate with the word "home." It gives one a different perspective about a lot of things.

    WOW!!! What a picturesque way of describing the sights you have seen that I can almost see them myself. The photos you have taken must be by the hundreds now and can't wait to see them.

    Have a grand time again in Paris.
    Good going, Caty.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2006 1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home