A Cat in Toronto

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

3rd time's a charm

Okay, I've already written this twice at the internet cafe. It wasn't going well because there connection kept failing so now I'm at the Institute's computer lab giving it one last shot for the day.

So, Leah wanted to know about weird quirks here. The washrooms were the first thing I noticed. First of all there aren't as many public washrooms around and, at least in Tours, you have to pay for them. Some of the public toilets are like a little room sitting in the middle of the street. Sort of like a telephone booth, but without glass walls. (Thankfully.) Also, most of the toilets here flush by pushing a button or by pulling a handle at the top of the tank. Another washroom quirk is that some of the showers are different. The shower in the house I'm at is basically a bath tub and a shower head on a hose. If you've seen the episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where he's in Italy and he's trying to figure out how to bathe himself it's like that. I think most of the North Americans who've stayed at my homestay had one of those moments when they saw the bathroom. I remember looking in and wondering how on earth I was supposed to use it. Eventually you figure something out. I look forward to showering with a stand up shower again and being able to stand up straight in my bedroom. Like my bedroom, the washroom is a room in the attic so you can't fully stand in it.

Oh, another quirk is that no one here has a lawn. The only grass is in parks and around fountains. I think Leah would like it here during alergy season. That's what comes to mind for now. If I think of anything else I'll put it in future posts.

Onto my food update. (My favorite topic.) I've had several different types of gelato and, yes, it is very good. I've already had a few baguettes too. One with smoked salmon and veggies, one with chicken and veggies, and one plain. The food in Tours is decent but if you want amazing food go to Paris.

This will be my last post before the long weekend since I leave for La Rochelle after school tomorrow. I hear it's beautiful although there isn't that much to do. That's okay since they apparently have a good beach there. Spending a long weekend at the beach sunbathing and swimming sounds pretty sweet to me. I'm glad I brought my bathing suit after all. I hear there might be fireworks and I hope there are since that would be really cool. I'll let you know all about it next week when I get back.

Bye for now!

9 Comments:

  • I've that you have to pay to use the washrooms in Europe. I've also heard that the toilets themselves are slightly different as well but no one was able to decribe them in a way that I could picture.

    Not being able to stand and shower would be strange. I think at that point I'd rather take a bath.

    The food sounds tasty..

    La Rochelle sounds like it's going to be a fun time. Enjoy the sun and beach. It's raining right now in Toronto.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 11:36 AM  

  • Hi Bruce!

    I'm actually going to start replying to comments now. Just recently realized that I could. Stoopid me.

    Was I able to paint a picture of the toilets here well enough for you to imagine it? Also, trust me, you'd try to shower anyway. The bath tub starts out fairly clean after our homestay mom cleans it but by the end of the week you'd shower.

    The food here is pretty good. I had an authentic eclair today. Holy crap was it good. :)

    Sorry to hear that it's raining. I'll send you some of my good weather . . . after the weekend. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 12:14 PM  

  • I've stayed at a B&B that had a shower set-up like that. I ended up crouching in the tub and having to switch hands when I was washing my right arm and shoulder. So weird to have to work out a system...

    I've seen pictures online of a glass-enclosed washroom stall, somewhere in Europe, in the middle of the street, but it was one-way glass. You could see out, but no one could see in. I imagine that would be hard to adjust to (definitely not for the shy bladdered)!

    So when you say that no one has a lawn, does that mean their house sits right on the edge of the street? Or is it paved where we'd have lawns?

    Have an awesome long weekend in the great weather France is having! It's been rainy like Filipino typhoon season around here.

    By Blogger ghanima, at 7/12/2006 12:33 PM  

  • There sidewalk is slightly smaller than ours, width wise, and the houses pretty much come right up to the sidewalk. Seems like most houses have a little garden in the back.

    Okay, I'm actually leaving the lab now.

    Have a great weekend everyone!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 12:43 PM  

  • Hello again, Caty..
    I suppose a proper bathroom is one thing you do miss. Good thing you are a real trooper, otherwise, it can be very disconcerting.

    Beaching at La Rochelle promises to be a great time. A swimsuit wherever one is going for an extended period of time is always good to have - besides it takes so little space in a suitcase and so light that not to bring one is a crime. Heck, you can even put it in your purse...some just even carry it in their pants back pockets.

    As Leah said, the weather here is the equivalent of monsoon rains in the Philippines. It rained all day. Actually, yesterday, a ferocious rainstorm characterized by heavy winds and lighting hit the GTA. The winds were so heavy that at Buttonville Airport, a couple of airplanes flipped over although they were already tied down to the ground. At least, no one was hurt.

    Really glad to know that you are having a whale of a time with your foodfest there. Good food is a must during a trip. It's tradition.

    Do have a grand weekend and we will do the same here. Mr. Weatherman said that it will be very hot and humid as the weekend approaches. A/C is a must.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 9:22 PM  

  • I've TOTALLY seen that episode of Raymond, it was pretty funny, I was chuckling trying to imagine you instead of him.

    How's the flow of water from the shower head? High pressure or low pressure.

    Hmm, what I wouldn't give for an authentic eclair right now. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/13/2006 2:59 PM  

  • Here's Wikipedia's entry on Bastille Day, and a small excerpt:

    "Bastille Day is the French national holiday, celebrated on 14 July each year. It is called Fête Nationale (National Holiday) in France. It commemorates the 1790 Fête de la Fédération, held on the first anniversary of the storming of the Bastille on 14 July 1789; the Fête de la Fédération was seen as a symbol of the uprising of the modern French "nation", and of the reconciliation of all the French inside the constitutional monarchy which preceded the First Republic, during the French Revolution."

    Here are the current weather conditions at La Rochelle, perfect for swimming! Also, here's the official website for the city of La Rochelle, as translated by Alta Vista's Babel Fish.

    By Blogger ghanima, at 7/15/2006 11:56 AM  

  • Still enjoying the beach and the sun at La Rochelle, aren't you? Well, here in Toronto, on this Sunday afternoon, I think it is 36 degrees already - looks like summer had really landed here.

    You must be on your way back to Tours (finally got my bearings right about the time difference) or may be you're already there after soaking up the sun in La Rochelle. Hope you brought the best sun-blocker for your delicate complexion.

    Continue your fun adventure there and can't wait to see the photos you have taken to date.

    "Hanggang sa muli."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/16/2006 1:32 PM  

  • Hi guys,

    Q & A time:

    The water pressure is decent here.

    French toast is called pain perdu. (lost bread) or so I've heard. I can't verify that one myself as I haven't seen any menus with French toast.

    By Blogger Caty, at 7/17/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home